School chemistry notes: GCSE level questions on the chemical patterns of the Periodic Table
Scroll down, take time to do the questions and/or follow links or [Use the website search box]
Doc Brown's Chemistry
The PERIODIC TABLE introduction question exercise for IGCSE/GCSE chemistry
Some basic questions and ideas on the structure of the Periodic Table in terms of metals, non-metals, groups, periods, electron arrangements, alkali metals, noble gases, halogens, transition metals. There are links to quizzes and detailed notes at the end of the page.
Answers to these
mobile phone or ipad etc. in 'landscape' mode
This is a BIG
website, you need to take time to explore it [SEARCH
Use your mobile phone or ipad etc. in 'landscape' mode
This is a BIG website, you need to take time to explore it [SEARCH BOX]
KS4 Science GCSE/IGCSE CHEMISTRY task sheet - structured introductory worksheet question on the Periodic Table Revision KS4 Science GCSE/IGCSE/O level Chemistry Information Study Notes for revising for AQA GCSE Science, Edexcel GCSE Science/IGCSE Chemistry & OCR 21stC Science, OCR Gateway Science WJEC gcse science chemistry CCEA/CEA gcse science chemistry (revise courses equal to US grade 8, grade 9 grade 10)
Simplified Periodic Table and Tasks
1. (a) Divide the metallic and non-metallic elements by a thick zigzag line.
2. Quote five typical physical properties of (a) metals, (b) non-metals.
3. Quote at least two characteristic chemical properties of (a) metals, (b) non-metals.
4. What do we mean by
5. Mark the Group numbers 1 - 0 (Group 8 is designated 0 for historical reasons) at the top of the correct column.
6. (a) Down the side mark the Period number from 1, down to 6.
7. Which elements belong to (a) the Alkali Metals, (b) the Halogens, (c) the Noble Gases, (d) the first Transition Metals series. What type of elements are (b) and (c)?
8. In what order were the elements placed in the first periodic tables? (eg by the Russian chemist Mendeleev)
9. In what order are the elements placed in the modern periodic table? (after answering 10. you should understand why)
10. For modern periodic tables, the order of argon and potassium has been reversed from the order in the first periodic tables, why? (clue find out the atomic masses of argon and potassium and think about their respective physical and chemical properties)
11. Electron arrangements and the Periodic Table:
12. Given the following electron structures:
13. From the list of groups and series listed in Q7., match the following element descriptions to one of them, and can you name a particular element(s) that fit(s) the above description?
Doc Brown's Chemistry
Enter chemistry words e.g. topic, module, exam board, formula, compound, reaction, structure, concept, equation, 'phrase', homework question! anything of chemical interest!
TOP OF PAGE