4. Burton Agnes Hall, Old Norman Hall & St Martin's Church
The south-west corner of Burton Agnes Hall, built of brick between 1601 and 1610 by Sir Henry Griffith.
The Gatehouse of Burton Agnes Hall was built around 1610 and has four octagonal turrets and an excellent example of Jacobean architecture.
Looking north up the driveway to the south front of Burton Agnes Hall
The statue in front of Burton Agnes Hall and the Christmas decoration lights on the plants in December 2009.
Wider view of Burton Agnes Hall from the south-west.
On the left is the 'Old Hall'.
The Old Norman Hall, west of the Jacobean 'mansion' was built by Roger de Stuteville around 1170-1175. It is a late Norman building of local limestone BUT it has given a complete brick facade to fit in with the 'New Hall'.
Old Norman Medieval Hall: Never-the-less, it retains some interesting architectural features.
Old Norman Medieval Hall: The vaulting and the columns of the undercroft are still intact with some judicious repairs!
Old Norman Medieval Hall: The old main hall room has 15th century oaken beam roof.
Old Norman Medieval Hall: The spiral staircase leads from the undercroft to the 1st floor of the main old hall. The stone walls show what the exterior would have looked like before the brick walls were built.
The Church of St Martins
The Perpendicular west tower of St Martin's Church, just to the west of Burton Agnes Hall.
PLEASE leave a donation for the upkeep of this lovely old medieval church - after all, entry is free!
St Martin's Church: The entrance to the church is through the south door reached by walking up a yew lined path.
St Martin's Church: The main body of the church is Norman. The view is from inside the north arcade (two bay, 12th century), across the nave to the south arcade (three bay, 13th century). The pillars of the arcades have scalloped capitals, typical of early Norman architecture.
St Martin's Church: Looking east down the nave through the Norman chancel arch to the altar and east window.
St Martin's Church: The carved alabaster figures of Sir Walter Griffith and his wife ~1481.
St Martin's Church: The stable scene at the west end of the church.
St Martin's Church: Wendy Chan, a textile artist, came to work with the children of the local county primary school and their work adorns the church (December 2009).
St Martin's Church: More of art work of the Foundation Stage and KS1 and Ks2 pupils - well done!
There is a lovely cafe with great food and an old Arriva London bus which serves a plant stall - The Red Bus Gallery!
East Riding of South Yorkshire Wolds North Sea East Coast England docspics images pictures photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, pleasant walks, Holidays, tourism information, Top tourist attractions, accommodation, luxury hotels, B&B, self-catering holiday cottages flats properties, friendly pubs inns, eating out dining our local food restaurants, touring coach tours, historic English towns, pretty villages, churches, museums, art galleries
TOP OF PAGE