5. Hornblotton Hall and St Peter's Church, Hornblotton, Somerset
SOUTH WEST SCENES of ENGLAND
The fine looking building of the 1867 Old Rectory, now known as Hornblotton Hall ( a private residence, once owned by Terry Poole), viewed from St Peter's Church graveyard. It was once the vicarage of Hornblotton's local church of St Peter. The house is set in beautiful grounds filled with trees, lawns, shrubs and flowers.
This part of the website is dedicated to the memory of Terry Poole who died aged 60 in 2007. He was a good friend from our students days in Liverpool from 1969-1973. Although we rarely met up with each other, it was always as if the conversation and the walking had just been paused temporarily and the 'play button' simply re-pressed. Terry last resided at Higher Farm Hornblotton, his last development project, and is buried near the entrance to St Peter's Church, Hornblotton, a church, whose architecture he loved, which itself is by Hornblotton Hall where Terry once lived.
St Peter's Church Hornblotton stands on the site of a more ancient church, of a which a small section of the medieval tower stands near the south door entrance. Find time to visit this gem of a Somerset church however busy you are as a tourist and PLEASE leave a donation in the box provided to help in the upkeep of this wonderful building that is so worthwhile a visit.
The church was built in 1872-1874 of orange oolite stone with Doulting stone dressings in the Decorated style. The church is in the rare style of Queen Anne Movement or Domestic Revival. This was an architectural expression of the Aesthetic Movement of 1865-1885 as a reaction against the mighty gothic revivalist style of the 1850's and 1860's, preferring a more primitive and colourful style.
The south door (right) and above the west door (left), a quadrangular tower supporting a gothic spire, covered with oak shingles and the tile hung belfry. The overall stonework style is that of the 13th-14th century e.g. the south door.
Looking down the nave through the chancel arch to the alter and east window. The famous strawberry and white plaster decoration adorns all the walls, an example of sgraffito (graffito, a sort of fresco), very much part of the Arts and Crafts Movement. The chancel is paved with glass mosaic.
The east stained glass window above the alter.
Details of sgraffito on the west wall by the bell ropes. The figures are formed by cutting away the upper coat of white cement and leaving exposed the strawberry coloured undercoat of plaster. The decoration designs originate from nature e.g. leaves, birds, flowers of the Aesthetic Movement and Arts and Crafts Movement.
Details of sgraffito and a small stained glass window in the north wall.
Looking down the nave to the west wall and the biblical figures of the magnificent strawberry and white plaster decoration of the sgraffito rising up to the timbers of the roof supports. A fitting sight for the tourist on exiting this marvel of craftsmanship.
Southern English docspics images pictures © Phil Brown * Tourism information, Holidays in Southern England, Top tourist attractions, accommodation, luxury hotels, holiday cottages, weekend-breaks, B&B, friendly country pubs, restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, museums, art galleries, historic towns, pretty villages, archaeological sites, coach tours trips out
TOP OF PAGE