47. The Village of Whitfield
Northumbria - Northumberland Scenes
Whitfield: The weir on River West Allen at Whitfield, no doubt once supplying water power to a local mill.
Whitfield: The Elk's Head pub in Whitfield on the banks of the River West Allen. Good food and beers, well run and a friendly reception.
Whitfield: The spire of Holy Trinity Church, Whitfield
Whitfield: Holy Trinity Church built in 1859-1860 in the Early English style of architecture by Higham. Although a bit dark inside, this is a beautiful church, founded in 1860. The church was a gift of Rev. and Mrs J. A. Blackett-Ord in memory of William Ord.
Whitfield: Left: Details of the top of the tower and base of spire
Whitfield: Right: One of the Victorian stained glass window panels - some fine painted glass in the west wall.
Whitfield: A small Rose Window at the west end of Holy Trinity Church.
Whitfield: The nave, chancel arch and the arcade pillars and arches of the north aisle of Holy Trinity.
Whitfield: Some wonderful stone vaulting work at the crossing below the tower and spire of Holy Trinity church.
The Whitfield Village Pantry is a popular local cafe, village shop and art gallery! "It is traditional village shop selling daily newspapers and magazines, household essentials, pet food, plus a range of specially selected local produce and gifts." The cafe serves breakfast, lunches and afternoon teas - outside in the tea garden in the summer or by a log fire in the winter. The art gallery displays work by local artists and a series of skills courses are run on eg bee keeping and gardening.
The feedback data on energy use and production, including the wind turbine generator.
Just across the road from the primary school is the Chapel of St John - Georgian origin? (Pevsner) but on the site of a medieval church. St John was founded in the 11th century. Originally the parish church (now Holy Trinity), it was said to have been the chapel for Eads Hall, the home of Countess Ada in the 12th century, mother of two Kings of Scotland. It was rebuilt in 1782, the church was remodelled and greatly reduced in size around 1880 when Holy Trinity lower down in the valley was built.
Whitfield: A neat little bell-cote. The church is located in Whitfield off the A686 which rises up from where the Whitfield Village Pantry is, and, it is opposite the C. of E. primary school.
Whitfield: The west entrance door to the Chapel of St John with the gravestones and crosses of the old graveyard.
Whitfield: Chapel of St John consists of a short nave and a small chancel.
North East England docspics photos images pictures photographs © Phil Brown * touring holidays in North Pennines Newcastle, Durham and Northumbria-Northumberland, tourism information, top tourist attractions, accommodation, luxury hotels, B&B, self-catering holiday cottages, YHA Youth Hostels, property, friendly pubs, great walking, eating/dining out restaurants cafes pubs bars inns, historic towns & cities, churches, castles, abbeys, museums, art galleries, local transport, interesting buildings properties, weekend deals, bargain city-breaks, walking in County Durham, Northumberland Northumbria