16. The medieval village of Blanchland
Scenes Northumbria - Northumberland
Looking over ancient Blanchland Village from the road bridge over the River Derwent.
Below is map of Blanchland Village, which is beautifully set in the surrounding country of the North Pennines.
The medieval village of Blanchland and the Lord Crewe Estate retain many of the original parts and buildings built when the white robed Premonstratensian canons were given land here over 800 years ago by Sire Walter de Boltec. An Abbott and 12 canons worked and preached in local communities and provided shelter for travellers. After Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries the Abbey properties were sold in 1532. After several different ownerships Blanchland was bought from the Forsters of Bamburgh Castle by Nathaniel Lord Crewe in the early 18th century. Lord Crewe was Bishop of Durham until his death in 1821 when his will provided for the establishment of Lord Crewe's Charity which still owns and operates the Blanchland Estate today. Any excess income is used to support the clergy and community work of the Church of England clergy in the North East of England
The handy big free car park at the top of the village.
Walking down into the village from the car park.
The White Monk Tearoom for traditional home baking, tea, coffee, afternoon teas and light lunches! This building looks as if it was the village school?
The tearoom and some of the pretty village cottages.
Blanchland Abbey was founded in 1165/1214? ad the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin was built in the 19th century using the viable medieval sections.
The medieval house across from the Hotel contains the Blanchland Shop and Post Office selling newspapers, magazines, traditional sweets, ice creams and gifts and above it is an Art Gallery.
The Lord Crewe Arms Hotel which was originally the Abbot's Lodgings.
Across from the Lord Crewe Arms Hotel is the Blanchland Deli which serves, on a take away basis, lovely coffee, cakes and other delicious goodies!
Across from the Hotel the medieval building on the left houses the shop and gallery.
The Art Gallery, which overlooks the main square (shown below) in Blanchland Village.
Looking down onto the 'square' from the steps of the Art Gallery.
The road bridge over the River Derwent. There are some good walks by the river which is actually the county border between Durham to the south and Northumberland to the north.
Looking east from Blanchland onto fields that would have been used by the original medieval Abbey.
More on the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin.
PLEASE LEAVE A DONATION and/or buy the guide to Blanchland Parish Church. It costs a great deal to keep these wonderful medieval churches going, which are one of our greatest English heritages!
The tower of Blanchland Parish Church.
The main entrance to the church.
Some fragments of stone from the original Abbey - the cross at the back seems appropriate, just missing the R.I.P.!
The interior of the Abbey-Church, with many magnificent arches restored-rebuilt from the great work of the medieval stone masons.
Looking east down the nave to the altar.
A fragment of medieval glass in one of the chancel windows - easily missed - pity, well out of view high up on the left window behind the altar. It shows an Abbot and a White Canon in their white robes at prayer.
Looking from the Nave into the north transept through the wonderfully reconstructed arches.
The 'back' of the church. The rebuilt east end of the chancel is on the left.
To the east of Blanchland is the Derwent Reservoir - with some beautiful easy walking in the Country Park as well as from Blanchland village too.
North East England docspics photos images pictures © Phil Brown * touring holidays in Newcastle, Durham and Northumbria-Northumberland, tourism information, top tourist attractions, accommodation, luxury hotels, B&B, holiday cottages, property, pubs, walking, restaurants, historic towns & cities, churches, castles, abbeys, museums, art galleries, local transport, interesting buildings properties