4. Medieval Churches in Malton.
Both St Michael's and St Leonard's were originally Chapels of Ease to the Gilbertine Priory Church of St Mary's in Old Malton described on page 1.
St Michael's Church
So often missed by all the tourists passing through Market Square of Malton Town.
In the late afternoon sunlight, the fine looking buttressed west tower of St Michaels' is Perpendicular in architectural style but parts of this lovely old church date back to Norman times.
St Michael's Church, in Market Place, Malton. Along with St Leonard's Church (after this section), is one two Norman 'Chapels of Ease' given to the Gilbertine Priory St Mary's Church at Old Malton described on page 1.
Some of the stained glass and Norman columns in St Michael's Church. This is a most lovely place to take a rest from all of tourist madness and add a little contemplation to our lives. Please leave a donation to help maintain this sanctuary and place of prayer. The aisles are mid-12th century scalloped carved capitals.
Looking east down the nave to the chancel and altar and east window in St Michael's Church. Note the wonderful Norman four bay arches down the aisles and the entrance to the chancel. The chancel was rebuilt in 1858.
Looking west down the nave to the entrance to the church.
The 12th century font and the stained glass windows of the north wall.
Some reproductions? of Norman-medieval heraldry.
St Leonard's Church
St Leonard's and St Mary's, Malton
St Leonard's Church, Malton, of Norman origin circa. 1150. The church was founded in the 12th century as a Chapel-of-Ease to the Gilbertine Priory at Old Malton described on page 1. The west tower is Perpendicular with a 19th century recessed spire. This church was transferred by way of a gift as an ecumenical gesture of goodwill from the Church of England to the Roman Catholic Church in 1971. The church is sited on the right as you climb out of New Malton on the Pickering road.
The nave and the fine Norman arches of the north aisle and at the end the 15th century tower arch.
The 12th century arcade pillars and arches of three bays.
The early 20th century stained glass east window.
Details of the five lower lights of the east window - 1st World War connotations.
Above the arches of the north arcade are a series of medieval carved heads of people and animals (some obviously a cat) - fascinating - but do they all mean or represent! and how many people in the congregation notice them?
The 15th century Perpendicular west tower of St Leonards' which has a very eroded porch added at the base. There is a small figure in relief set into the west wall of the tower called the 'Bishop's Panel' - but it is hard to tell what it is? but the guidebook says it shows "a seated ecclesiastic, holding a crozier in one hand and giving a blessing with the other, as he steps on or triumphs over two dragons" and probably dates from the church's origins in the early 12th century.
Holidays in the Howardian Hills North Yorkshire Northern England * docspics photos images pictures © Phil Brown * Tourist information, Top tourist attractions, budget accommodation, luxury hotels, B&B, self-catering holiday cottages, pubs, restaurants, walking holidays, coach tours, interesting historic places, buildings, museums, coach tours
TOP OF PAGE