48c. Holy Trinity Parish Church, Skipton
is well worth a visit and please leave a donation
Scenes in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire, the North Pennines and parts of East Cumbria
and Skipton Station is on The Leeds - Settle - Carlisle Railway
The ancient parish church of Holy Trinity has been at the top of Skipton's High Street for many centuries and, to quote the brochure ..
"It is the home of a large and vibrant Christian family. It is a place where many, each in their own way, are found by God"
The medieval Holy Trinity Church of Skipton. The tower was restored in the 1650's after suffering damage in the Civil War.
Looking east down the nave of Holy Trinity church towards the rood screen and chancel
The east window of stained glass above the High Altar, a reminder of the table of the 'Last Supper'
Looking west down the nave of Holy Trinity church
Looking east down the nave of Holy Trinity church
The elaborately carved font Jacobean cover The stone carved font itself is 700 years old and dates from the 1300's from when the present church dates from.
The beautifully carved screen dates from the 1540s, mid 15th century and is therefore over 450 years old. When new the screen was probably very decoratively painted.
Details of the oak carvings of the rood screen dividing the chancel from the nave in Holy Trinity church
The finely carved beautiful oak screens and choir stalls dating from the mid 16th century.
The Sedillia in Holy Trinity church, the three seats in the wall, with trefoil arches, were for priests in medieval times who officiated at the celebration of High Mass, and were once near the high altar, but at least now preserved in the south wall. The seat on the left was probably a piscina for washing communion vessels.
The magnificent tomb of George Clifford of Skipton Castle, father of Lady Anne Clifford (who was herself a great patron of the church).
There are heraldic shields all around the walls of the tomb of George Clifford, Third Earl of Cumberland, born at Broughton Castle in 1558 and died in 1605. He was a friend of Elizabeth 1st and a noted navigator and fought the Spaniards in the West Indies, as well as fighting the Armada in 1588. The highly coloured decorated heraldic shields depict 17 armorial shields of his ancestors and the tomb was erected by his daughter, Lady Anne Clifford. The monument was erected in 1654 with no effigy on the striking black marble top.
One of the fine stained glass windows in Holy Trinity Church.
A brief history of Holy Trinity, Skipton
The medieval church of Holy Trinity Church, Skipton, is located in High Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire and designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building. It is the elder of the two active Anglican parish churches in the town, located in the deanery of Skipton, the archdeaconry of Craven, and the Diocese of Leeds. Holy Trinity's benefice is united with that of a church in a neighbouring village, St Augustine, Draughton. The first church on the site was built in the early 12th century, probably of wood near where the tower now stands, but the present church dates from about 1300 with the help of monks from Bolton Priory, and was extended to the east in the late 15th century, probably helped by a gift from Richard III. Holy Trinity church was damaged during the Civil War, particularly the tower, and was repaired and restored in the 1650s with financial assistance from Lady Anne Clifford of Skipton Castle (next door!), whose father's (George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland) tomb is in the church (see picture further down). In 1853 the tower was struck by lightning and further restoration work in 1909 by the Lancaster architects Austin and Paley. During this process, the galleries were removed, a north transept and new vestries were added, and new seating was installed. The church was struck by lightning again in 1925, causing a fire that destroyed the organ and damaged the roof, after the roof was repaired a new organ case was installed, again by Austin and Paley. In 1979 the Lady Chapel was created in the southeast corner of Holy Trinity church, and more recently a Prayer Corner was developed in a corresponding position at the northeast of Holy Trinity church. The plan of Holy Trinity church consists of a nave with a clerestory, a south porch, a north transept containing the organ and vestries, a chancel with the Lady Chapel to the south and the Prayer Corner to the north, and a west tower embraced by the nave. The window tracery of Holy Trinity church is mainly in Perpendicular style, with some in Decorated style. The font stands at the west end of the nave, and has a magnificent Jacobean cover. The rood screen of Holy Trinity church dates from 1533 and in the chancel is a triple sedilia. There are monuments in Holy Trinity church dating from the 16th and 17th centuries to the memory of members of the Clifford family. One of the windows contains stained glass by Kempe and the original pipe organ was built in 1803 by Lincoln of London. After the destruction of this organ in 1925, a new three-manual organ, built by Rushworth and Dreaper of Liverpool and designed by Edward Bairstow, was installed in Holy Trinity church. This organ was rebuilt and reduced to two manuals in two phases in 1966 and 1970, and moved into the left bay of the north transept by Laycock and Bannister of Keighley. Holy Trinity church has a ring of eight bells, all cast by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough in 1921.
See also 48a. Town of SKIPTON
and Skipton Station is on The Leeds - Settle - Carlisle Railway
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information on Holy Trinity Church Skipton, Walks in the Holy Trinity Church Skipton, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park near Holy Trinity Church Skipton, North Yorkshire, Northern England, Top tourist attractions of Holy Trinity Church Skipton, luxury hotels near Holy Trinity Church Skipton, self-catering holiday cottages near Holy Trinity Church Skipton, B&B in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, friendly pubs in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, cafes in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, eating out in fine restaurants in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, weekend breaks near Holy Trinity Church Skipton, wining & dining weekends in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, walking holidays around the Holy Trinity Church Skipton, touring coach tours including Holy Trinity Church Skipton, pretty villages near Holy Trinity Church Skipton, historic town/village of Holy Trinity Church Skipton, museums in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, local art galleries in Holy Trinity Church Skipton, guided walks from Holy Trinity Church Skipton, excellent fell hill walking around Holy Trinity Church Skipton, rambling, exploring the limestone landscape near Holy Trinity Church Skipton.