45a. The Village of Burnsall
Scenes from North Yorkshire
Walking around Burnsall
Burnsall is one of the loveliest villages in Wharfedale, mentioned in the Norman Domesday Book of 1086 and well worth a visit. It is attractively set on the banks of the River Wharfe and a good starting point for walks east towards Appletreewick and then north to Parcevall Hall and Trollers Gill.
The road bridge over the River Wharfe at Burnsall Village.
The River Wharfe at Burnsall and a popular place for families.
The splendid five arches bridge over the River Wharfe.
The 'Shop on the Green' and the 'Wharfe View Tea room' and a nice old fashioned red telephone box!
The ancient Red Lion Inn, a popular pub with tourists.
A typical cottage in Burnsall with accompanying attractive flower displays.
The fine old building of the Old Grammar School by St Wilfrid's Church houses Burnsall Primary School.
The inscription reads "William Craven, Alderman of London, Founder of this school, anno domini 1601". William Craven was born in the village of Appletreewick and made is way to London and rising to become Mayor of London in 1611.
Church and Primary School
The sturdy tower of St Wilfrid's Church built around 1540, possibly by the masons who worked at Bolton Abbey before its dissolution in 1539.
The tower was added to the earlier church from the 12th century which was rebuilt at the same time.
Looking down the nave, the rood screen and chancel and altar beyond, on either side the north and south aisles. The rood screen separates the nave from the chancel and was erected in 1891 to replace one destroyed in ~1550. Above the 1891 rood screen, the carved figures of Christ on the cross, the Virgin and St John, carved in Italy were added in 1935.
View from the south aisle of the chancel and the east end of the north aisle.
The carved Norman font (dates from ~1150), one of the few remnants of the first Norman church. There are eight carved beasts around the bottom, set tail to tail. The fishes above represent the Christian faith.
Left: One of the Saxon cross fragments.
Right: One of the stained glass windows.
Some details of the above stained glass window.
More examples of St Wilfrid's stained glass windows.
The east stained glass window above the high altar.
The 15th century medieval alabaster panel depicting the adoration of the magi. Mary is seated on a tester bed holding the infant on her knee. Joseph is kneeling in the bottom right and the three kings on the left are presenting gifts. Behind the king are the head and wings of an angel. The alabaster panel was probably made in the workshops of York. Its survival is down to being hidden under the floor of the chapel around 1550 and found by workmen in 1858.
There is no decoration of the neat but relatively plain capitals of the pillars of the nave-aisle arches, but there are some heads and other decoration above them.
Left: The oak pulpit dates from the early 17th century (~1612) having served a spell as an armchair in the mid 19th century (~1858) but returned to the church in the early 20th century.
* chapel at the east end of the south aisle?
To walk to Appletreewick village you cross the five arched bridge onto the east bank (the Appletreewick side!).
You can then walk along the banks of the River Wharfe to Appletreewick. You initially walk a short distance east along the road to Appletreewick before taking a south-east path down to the river bank.
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, eating out in fine restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks, excellent fell hill walking