41d. The Village of Well, North Yorkshire
Scenes East of the Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire
The small quiet and sleep village of Well.
Well Hall, the earliest parts of which date from the 13th century.
Just down from Well hall is the coat of arms of ??? carved on the side of the old almshouses dating from 1758 next to the lych gate entrance to St Michael's Church.
The south entrance, tower, nave, south aisle and chancel of the fine church of St Michael, Well.
The eastern end view of St Michael's Church, Well.
The tower and south porch entrance (late 12th century) of St Michael's church in the village of Well.
Details of the multi-sectioned Norman arched carvings of the south door.
An early 'Celtic' cross carving preserved in the south wall.
The exterior of the south aisle of St Michael's Church.
The magnificently carved canopy of the font dating from 1352 AD.
Looking down the nave, through the chancel arch, into the chancel, altar and east window.
Some of the arches the nave.
A section of Roman mosaic preserved in the church. It was removed from the remains of a Roman Villa found in Mill Garth in 1859.
Some of the fine medieval tracery stonework of the medieval windows - though the stained glass is relatively modern.
The finely carved wooden altar piece at the west end of the north aisle.
The statue-tomb of Sir John Neville (Nevill?), 4th Lord Latimer 1596 ...
... on which much graffiti was added from the 16th-17th century onwards!
Left: An old medieval grave stone with sword and ?.
Right: More fine medieval tracery with the windows of Victorian stained glass.
The arches of the aisles.
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, eating out in fine restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks, excellent fell hill walking