17. Cumbria, The town and parish church of Appleby-in-Westmorland
Complete with spring cherry blossom, the Parish church of St. Lawrence, Appleby in Westmorland, is a fine sandstone building dating from the late 12th century (~1176). There is a good guide to the church available and PLEASE leave a donation to help with the upkeep of this much cherished building.
The lower parts of the tower date back to the 12th century and the porch was built about 1300.
The pillars of the nave date from about 1300.
The beautiful alabaster figure on the left is a 17th century memorial raised by Lady Anne Clifford to her mother Margaret, Countess of Cumberland. Lady Anne Clifford was responsible for the restoration of the church in the 17th century.
The stained glass of the east window above the alter.
The carved wooden screens behind the choir stalls were made ~1500 and the font in the Baptistery was made of Frosterley marble from Weardale in the 19th century and is riddled with fossils!
Some of the carved heads of the arches of the nave.
The River Eden from the bridge into the town.
The red sandstone bridge into the town over the River Eden was built in 1888-1889 to replace and unsafe medieval bridge.
Appleby is a really pleasant friendly town set in a U bend of the River Eden.
The main street still retains a few of the older and attractive buildings.
The main street in Appleby, you walk up this way at the start of the walk described on pages 18-19. The Parish church of St. Lawrence is at the bottom of the road.
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, eating out in fine restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks, excellent fell hill walking