4. Kirkby Stephen and a walk from Sedbergh to Brigflatts
Illustrates part of Walk 4 "Briggflats and Dent Foot" in Paul Hannon's "Walking Country - Howgill Fells"
The Parish Church at Kirkby Stephen ('the Cathedral of the Dales'), built on the site of an older Saxon church - a stained glass window and the 'Loki' stone, an 8th-10th? century effigy to the pagan Norse god.
The early Quaker meeting house (established in 1675) at Brigflatts near Sedbergh, just south of the main road, about 1 mile westwards down the A683 road towards Casterton and Kirkby Lonsdale.
A most beguiling and peaceful spot for the tourist-walker-visitor etc. to make a reflective stop.
Unlike many 'religions' Quaker beliefs minimise doctrine and maximise humanitarian concerns.
A mighty iron bridge over the River Rawthey-Dee which carried the now disused railway line that once served Sedbergh. There is a lovely circular walk from Sedbergh including Brigflatts and the River Rawthy bank.
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, eating out in fine restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks, excellent fell hill walking